I started tinkering in Blender the other night, and ended up modeling Girlbot, from Diana’s comic “The Intrepid Girlbot” (read here).
I then, kinda, just… kept going, and ended up with a fanart of sorts! And this is it. It is a little rough, and I’m not totally happy with the composition, but I think it’s nice enough to post. I’m not done with ideas for that model just yet, though…
Click here to see the image at full-resolution (1280x1920) so you can scope the tiny texture deets on Girlbot.
The comic is lovingly monochromatic, and I aimed to capture a little of that here in my color choices. I figure Girlbot’s chassis would likely be plastic for weight-saving purposes, and tuned the material to look molded. She is also quite active, and I’d expect her to pick up quite a few light scratches, which you can see on all her surfaces. Her arms and grabbers are made of a tougher metal alloy, though colorized somewhat to attempt to match her body.
In addition to the scratches, her body shows the faded remains of a previous coat of decorative paint; either it was there when she was built, or she added it herself as an experiment. However, as happens with painted plastic, it has been slowly chipping away.
I thought of doing the same with her head, but my attempts at giving a little color to her “hair” just made her look muddy, so I left it as is. Maybe she scratched it all off on accident while pondering the infinite.
I gave her little wheel a white-wall tire, cause she’s cool like that.
All the modeling was done in Blender, and rendering was done with Blender’s “Cycles” renderer. Textures and such were produced with a mix of files from cgtextures.com processed with GIMP.
The comic logo I generated by taking the image from the website then vectorizing it in Inkscape and re-exporting it for placement in the scene.